We live in an age of ubiquitous technology, when the world’s information exists at our fingertips, and the answer to almost any question is never more than a few taps away. We’ve mapped the world, crossed it, conquered it. The planet fits in our pocket.
As technology helped shrink the world, it also gave us the power to build new ones. Digital realms where anything can happen, opening new frontiers to explore. That is the promise of virtual reality, a concept that has for decades seemed always just over the horizon yet frustratingly out of reach. Now companies are making a big push to bring virtual reality into the mainstream.
- Virtual Boy TV Commercial (1995) – YouTube
- Oculus Rift
- Samsung Gear VR
- Google Cardboard
- "Google Glass Explorer Program Shuts Down" – TechCrunch
- "An Hour In Hell: Hands-on With Alien: Isolation In Virtual Reality" – Polygon
- "Based On A True Story" – Matt Dusenbury
- Ready Player One – Amazon
- "Ethan Hawke's 'Good Kill': A Searing Indictment Of America's Drone Warfare Obsession" – The Daily Beast
- "Army Uses Virtual Reality To Attract Reservists" – The Telegraph