When Twitter first arrived on the scene in 2006, its use wasn’t immediately apparent. Why would anyone care what I’m doing right now? conventional wisdom went. Slowly but surely though, the broadcast system proved its worth, particularly when it came to live events and breaking news. It did and still does have a flaw, though. Text just isn’t all that fun to look at. And in our rich-media world, hotter media wins.
Enter Periscope, a new app launched last week that seeks to bridge that gap by adding live broadcast video to Twitter portfolio of products. Will it help build the network and return Twitter to its important roots?
- "Podcasting Live From Florida" – Periscope.tv
- "There Was An Explosion In New York City And Seconds Later I Was Watching It Live On Periscope" – The Verge
- "Periscope, Twitter's Answer To Meerkat-style Livestreaming, Is Now Available" – The Verge
- "Peering Into Far-off Lands" – Medium
- "Meet Periscope, Twitter's New Live Video App" – Buzzfeed
- "Facebook F8 Developer Conference" – Facebook