At first, the story seemed pretty straight forward. Hulk Hogan, the famed wrestler, sued gossip site Gawker for violating his privacy by publishing a sex tape in which he was featured. This week, the decision came down. He won, and was awarded $140 million. Case closed, right?
Now, a side-story has emerged that makes the whole thing much more complicated, involving a tech billionaire, personal vendettas and, depending on your point of view, a testament to personal liberty or an attack on free speech.
- "Peter Thiel, Tech Billionaire, Reveals Secret War With Gawker" – NYTimes
- "Peter Thiel, Comic Book Hero" – Stratechery
- "Peter Thiel's Support For Donald Trump Is A Bigger Threat To Press Freedom Than His Lawsuits" – Vox
- "J.K. Rowling: Donald Trump Has The Right To 'Be Offensive And Bigoted'" – Entertainment Weekly
- "My 14-Hour Search For The End Of TGI Friday's Endless Appetizers" – Gawker